The Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta invites applications for the position of Director, Rural and Regional Health. This is a 0.50 FTE position (negotiable) reporting to the Vice-Dean, Education. The initial term of this appointment is three (3) years, with the potential for renewal for a second term.
The primary objective for the Director is to develop and support relationships between the FoMD and the communities of rural and regional Alberta, rural healthcare professionals, the Cumming School of Medicine, the Rural Health Professional Action Plan (RhPAP), and learner groups as appropriate.
- Provide strategic leadership and advice to the Associate Deans MD Program and Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) and other appropriate education leads, and to the Vice Dean, Education/Dean on the direction of rural health professional education in Alberta.
- Develop and implement new initiatives in rural medical education in collaboration with the Associate Deans, MD program and PGME, Department Program Directors and other Faculty leaders in medical education.
- Support, steward and assist current rural programs and work with core program leads with the ultimate goal of increasing the number of graduates who choose rural, regional and remote career paths.
- Support the FoMD’s rural faculty members and provide opportunities for faculty development and meaningful work in medical education, administration and leadership with the goal of increasing the number of rural clinician educators in leadership positions.
- Chair the Committee on Rural, Regional and Remote Initiatives (CRRRI).
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Indigenous Health Initiatives.
- In collaboration with the Associate Deans, represent the FoMD in all external and internal groups and committees where rural, regional and remote initiatives are the focus.
- Contribute to QA/QI of learning experiences related to rural and distributed medical education as appropriate.
Although this is a large and complex role, there is significant support from the staff and physician leadership in the Office of Rural and Regional Health, collaboration within and between the FoMD education programs, and coordinators based in training sites and communities throughout rural Alberta.
The preferred candidate will have relevant experience, as well as demonstrated exceptional skills in leadership, communication and collaboration.
This posting is directed to current University of Alberta full-time and part-time academic or clinical faculty members. The successful candidate will hold a MD and have demonstrated academic leadership in medical education.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a statement of interest outlining their goals and related experience along with a vision for Rural and Regional Health, a recent CV and the names of three references to the Office of the Vice-Dean, Education through firstname.lastname@example.org by FRIDAY, MARCH 12, 2021.
If you are an internal applicant, you must consult with your Chair to seek alignment with career goals and aspirations, as this is a significant commitment to the Faculty.
Further information with respect to the position may be sought from the Office of the Vice-Dean, Education.
Shirley Schipper, MD, CCFP, FCFP