Click on the categories below to find answers for your questions about RESIDE. If there is something we haven’t covered, feel free to send your questions to email@example.com.
Application & Approval Process
Who can apply to the RESIDE Program?
To apply, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- be one of the following: (a) a family medicine resident physician in their second year of residency completing their training before the end of the calendar year in which they intend to apply (b) a family medicine physician in their R3 year of enhanced skills training completing their R3 training before the end of the calendar year in which they intend to apply or (c) a practising family medicine physician who completed residency in Canada within the last five years
- demonstrate interest in rural health
- be willing to sign a return-of-service agreement
- Must have applied for and be accepted into a full-time family medicine position in a RESIDE eligible community on https://doctorjobsalberta.albertahealthservices.ca/
How do I know if a position I apply for is eligible for RESIDE?
To be eligible for RESIDE, a position must meet the following criteria:
- Be posted on https://doctorjobsalberta.albertahealthservices.ca/
- Be a full-time family medicine position
- Be located in a RESIDE-eligible community
If I am already practising in a community which is eligible for RESIDE, am I eligible to apply for the RESIDE Program?
Physicians who are on part-time contracts or locuming in a RESIDE-eligible community and have not signed a letter of offer for a full-time family physician position with AHS are eligible to apply for RESIDE as long as they meet all other eligibility requirements. Physicians who have already signed a letter of offer for a full-time position with AHS in a RESIDE-eligible community are not eligible to apply for RESIDE for any family physician openings in the same or another RESIDE-eligible community.
If I have received grant funding from the Northern Alberta Development Council in the past, does this affect my eligibility?
Having received other grant funding does not affect an applicant’s eligibility for the RESIDE Program as long as that funding did not come with a return-of-service expectation.
Can I reapply next year if I am not selected this year?
Applicants can reapply as long as they still meet the program eligibility requirements.
If I am applying with my partner to positions in the same community, would we both be eligible for RESIDE?
Where both parties and the positions for which they have applied meet RESIDE eligibility criteria, both will receive RESIDE benefits if they are accepted to the positions.
How many applicants can participate in this program each year?
The RESIDE program will continue to accept applications on an ongoing basis until the allocated funds are exhausted or until the end of the pilot phase is reached (end of 2024), whichever comes first.
What is the application deadline?
There is no application deadline. The application portal will remain open until the allocated funds are exhausted or until the end of the pilot phase in 2024, whichever comes first.
How long will it take to hear back on the outcome of my application?
Applicants will receive notification on the status of their application within four weeks.