Since 1997, the Peter K. Lindsay Physician Skills Enrichment Program has offered rural physicians the opportunity to upgrade their skills or develop new ones in order to meet the medical needs of their community and surrounding area. Through the program, physicians are able to identify their own training needs and identify or develop learning opportunities to meet those needs. Physicians receive an honorarium that covers their costs and expenses while they are away from their practice.
Typically, RhPAP supports learning opportunities that require a minimum of two weeks up to a maximum of 12 months of study and/or training. This training can include a variety of opportunities from informal coaching with a specialist to more formal education programs. Enrichment training that has been covered in the past includes the following:
- Oncology training
- Foundation Course in Occupational Medicine – Part A and Part B
- Cardiac Stress Testing training
- Rural Ultrasound Fellowship
- GP Anesthesiology
- Other programs as approved
To be eligible, the following conditions must be met:
- The physician must live and practise in an Alberta community located outside the Census Metropolitan Area boundaries of Calgary or Edmonton with a population of fewer than 15,000 people
- The physician must have practised in that rural community (that meets the definition above) for at least 12 consecutive months
- The physician’s AHS medical leader supports the need for this training and is willing to provide the necessary letters of support for this training
- The physician must be willing to sign a return of service agreement if required
What you will need to apply
- A letter of support from your zone medical director speaking to the need for your training and that the Authority is willing to provide the resources that may be required (staff, equipment, OR time, etc.) that will allow you to practise the new skills in order to serve the medical needs of the Region.
- If you are applying for a year-long program, you will be required to submit a copy of your up-to-date curriculum vitae.
Please note: once you initiate the application form, you will have an option to save and continue later. The link that you receive to the form will remain active for 30 days. After 30 days or after you have submitted your application, you will no longer be able to make changes to your application.