RhPAP provides funding that allows AMA Physician Locum Services® to offer short-term locum service for family physicians in rural areas that includes the following:
- Office and emergency-room coverage for rural physicians practising and living in communities with fewer than five physicians
- Weekend coverage for any physician in a community with fewer than four physicians
- Weekend coverage for senior physicians who have practised for more than nine years in rural Alberta and are older than 54 (in communities with fewer than 16 physicians)
Summer months may be limited to a maximum of two weeks locum coverage per requesting physician to accommodate the high demand for the service.
Communities with critical shortages are assisted with locum coverage based on locum availability.
Specialists practising in Alberta regional centres outside Calgary and Edmonton can access:
- Specialist locum coverage
- Locum coverage for weekends and for periods away from practice for up to four weeks
See Physician Locum Services at the Alberta Medical Association for more information.